April 5, 2010

Oatmeal Craisin chocolate chip cookies

Craisins are apparently my new favorite food. They are basically dried cranberries coated with sugar, with a raisin-like consistency. You can eat them directly out of the bag, but they are great on salads, trail mix or baked into cookies. We had a ton left over from Passover and I've been snacking on them pretty much every day.

On Sunday afternoon, as my wife and I were on the porch relaxing after a day of yard work, I happened to notice a recipe on the back of the Craisins bag. Realizing that we had all of the necessary ingredients (well, almost) we whipped these together for an evening snack. I say "almost" because the original recipe calls for 2/3 cup white chocolate chunks. We had less than 1/3 cup of regular chocolate chips, but I don't think the cookies really need the extra chocolate. They are sweet enough, especially when you get a Craisin-filled bite! Here's how to make them . . .

Beat the brown sugar and softened butter together until the mixture is light and fluffy.

After adding the egg and the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda, and oats) the Craisins and chocolate chips are folded in.

The dough is dosed out by teaspoonfuls, leaving about an inch or two between each cookie.

After about 10 minutes in the oven the cookies are allowed to cool on a rack.

Oatmeal Craisin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Modified from the back of the Craisins bag
Makes about 30 cookies

2/3 cup softened butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
6 ounces Craisins
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375. Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then add eggs and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine oats, flour, baking soda and salt. Add this to the butter mixture in 3-4 additions, mixing well between additions. Add Craisins and chocolate chips, then drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. I love cookies! I want to taste these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luli- Try them! They are very quick and easy. I think my wife and I have made 5 batches since this post!

    ReplyDelete