December 30, 2009

Make your own farmer cheese

Right after pig and beer, cheese is my favorite food group. I have no interest in breeding my own pigs (I think living with them would make me less willing to eat them) and I've brewed my own beer for almost ten years. So next on the to do list was homemade cheese. Making basic farmer cheese is amazingly easy and requires no special tools or ingredients. Basically, you heat milk, then add an acid (vinegar or lemon juice) to coagulate the curd. That's it!


Farmer Cheese

1/2 gallon whole milk
1/4 cup white vinegar

Bring milk to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. When the milk begins to boil, remove from heat and stir in vinegar. The curds should separate from the whey within 5 to 10 minutes. Line a colander with two layers of cheesecloth and pour the milk over the cloth. The whey should appear yellowish (if white, add more vinegar and wait 5 t0 10 more minutes). Squeeze out any remaining whey and allow the curds to hang suspended over a bowl for several hours. Season to taste with salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment