December 30, 2009

My dad's 11 layer cake

My dad doesn't cook. At all. This is why my mom was quite surprised when he came home from work last week saying that he wanted to make a 12 layer cake. Not "have made for him," but "make." My dad's love of his family is only surpassed by his love for the New York Times, which is where the cake in question was featured. It told the story of a 400 year old Southern woman who has made this cake by hand every day of her life (or so my dad relayed the story to me). My mom figured, OK, we'll make four cakes and cut them each in thirds. However, the article clearly stated that the traditional method was to bake each layer individually, and my dad believes in doing things the right way. Three hours later, the monster was complete (only 1 layer short). All that was left was to make the frosting - a gallon of sugar, cocoa powder and condensed milk.

The taste? Somewhere between pure sugar and, well, more sugar. Good, though! Here's the link to the recipe:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/16/dining/161brex.html?ref=dining

No comments:

Post a Comment